Can you describe your thoughts on race in 6 words or less? That was the challenge NPR‘s Michele Norris extended while on her The Grace of Silence book tour across the country: write down your thoughts on a ‘race card’ in one sentence, 6 words or less.
The cards were intended to serve as conversation starters but Michele received thousands of 6-word cards from all over the globe. She took to posting them on her Race Card Wall to spark an honest and genuine discussion about race.
“Some of them are poignant, some of them are funny, some of them will make you cringe. But they are people who express their thoughts about race in short bursts, in short sentences,” Michele told genConnect’s Kelly Hayes in the video below:
For more from Michele:
- 10 Powerful People in Media Who Matter to You (VIDEO ESSAY)
- The Help a Box Office Hit; NPR’s Michele Norris’ ‘Race Card’
- Connecting Cultures Through Radio (VIDEO)
Want more genConnect?
- For more daily expert updates, follow genConnect on Twitter and Facebook.
- To stay on top of the latest contributions from experts: Sign Up for genConnect.