As a filmmaker, founder of the Webby Awards, one of Newsweek‘s “Women Shaping the 21st Century” and director of the acclaimed documentary, “Connected: An Autobiography about Love, Death & Technology,” Tiffany Shlain is changing the way people make and watch films.
In fact, earlier this year she received a Disruptive Innovation Award from the Tribeca Film Festival. Tapping into new video-sharing technologies and tools, Shlain and her team at The Moxie Institute created a new genre of filmmaking called Cloud Filmmaking, which employs user-submitted content to collaboratively create, translate and customize films.
Her work is exploding globally, currently translated into 65 languages, and her newest film ENGAGE will premiere on Saturday, September 8th 2012, at the 10th annual Interdependence Day Celebration 2012 in Los Angeles. Interdependence Day is an international celebration of citizens without borders, civic governance among cities, global justice and democracy. The celebrations take place simultaneously across numerous cities around the world including London, Berlin, Singapore and Melbourne.
ENGAGE seeks to remind us that life can be short and ultimately asks, “How are you going to engage?” It is the third film in the digital short film series Let it Ripple: Mobile Films For Global Change.
Other films in the series include:
- A Declaration of Interdependence, a rewriting the U.S. Declaration of Independence. Animated by Stefan Nadelman, with music by Moby, the film is an exhilarating montage of user-generated content, a global mash-up demonstrating the vast potential of creative collaboration in the 21st century. The film has been translated into 65 languages and customized for 100 organizations.
- Brain Power: From Synapses to Hyperlinks, looks at new research from Harvard and The University of Washington on how to best develop children’s brains and links it to ideas on how to grow the global brain of the Internet. Sneak peeks at: The Economist “Human Potential” conference in NYC (Sept 27) & The Boston Museum of Science (Sept 28). There is also an accompanying TED Book that expands on all the ideas and research in the book. Both will be released simultaneously in the fall.
- An untitled film about building “character” will be released in early 2013.
Click here to learn more about Cloud Filmmaking and how you can become a part of Shlain’s next big film.
- For more daily expert updates, follow genConnect on Twitter and Facebook.
- To stay on top of the latest contributions from experts: Sign Up for genConnect.