Once thought to be riddled with fats, avocado is making a new, healthy name for itself. High in folate, oleic acid and vitamin E, this fruit has been shown to lower cholesterol, help stroke and breast cancer prevention and maintain overall health.
Related: The Best Foods for Your Heart
Culinary Marketing Consultant and gluten-free expert Amie Valpone shows us that healthy and tasty can make a great combination with this fun twist on the traditional salad.
Avocado Rocket Salad with Basil Lime Dressing
Gluten-Free and Vegan
- 2 large fennel bulbs, slice stalks and bulbs into thin strips
- 3 cups fresh rocket salad
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- Juice from 1 organic lime
- 2 Tbsp. Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp. lime zest
- 6 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 Tbsp. ground chia seeds
- 1/3 cup cashews, ground
- Prepare a large ice bath.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add fennel and cook for 3 minutes. Drain fennel; immediately plunge into ice bath. Set aside for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer fennel to a large serving bowl; pat dry. Add avocado and onion.
- Drizzle salad with lime juice, lime zest, oil, basil, sea salt and pepper. Gently toss to coat.
- Transfer to serving dishes. Top with ground chia seeds and cashews. Serve at room temperature.
For more recipes from Amie on genConnect: Roasted Toasted Balsamic Lime Pumpkin Seeds
- For more daily expert updates, follow genConnect on Twitter and Facebook.
- To stay on top of the contributions from experts on the site: Sign Up for genConnect.